Founded in 2002 by the Devor family with the support of neighbors and community organizations, the Transit Garden transformed an unused MTA lot into a beloved community resource. The garden has been providing community members with a place to grow their own food, gather, and immerse themselves in nature ever since.
Community Guidelines and Garden Rules
- Keep your plot clean, healthy, watered, and disease-free.
- Help keep the garden clean & tidy. Sweep trash and leaves, weed, etc.
- Return all tools, materials, etc. to the shed when you’re done. Help keep the shed neat and organized.
- Put away the hoses neatly and make sure the water is off before you leave.
- Please do not pick any plants or flowers outside of your own plot.
- Please supervise your kids, guests, and pets. Members are responsible for whomever they invite into the garden.
- Leashed dogs are welcome. Please be considerate, clean up after your dog, and make sure other gardeners present are comfortable with dogs.
- There is no trash in the garden. Please take all trash with you. Do not put trash in the compost bins.
- Lock the garden when you leave.
- While present in the garden, members are welcome to invite the community in. Please make sure visitors don’t take or leave anything. Make sure there are no non-members in the garden before you leave.
- As per our lease, only dues-paying members may have a key to the garden.